Saturday, March 24, 2012

Teacher Tenure

Brian Doherty and Glenn Weber at P.S. 286, Bronx, NY

In the late 90's, as the music business changed around me, I made an attempt to expand my private teaching and recruit more students.  I was already on the faculty of The Drummers Collective in NYC, so I reached out to my old friend and former teacher Glenn Weber.  I've known Glenn since childhood and consider him a mentor.

Glenn has a thriving business in the New Jersey suburbs with a drum school and a professional drum shop.  At the time, he was renting teaching studios to Joe Morello, Andy White (a guy who really played on Beatles records including the song Love Me Do, for which he once showed me the original pay stub from the session) and his son, Damon Weber.  I joined the staff and immediately set out to let the market know who I was and where to find me.  I created the brochure below and conducted a few master classes at Sam Ash stores and the Percussive Arts Society.  The brochure contains a brief interview with me from Dennis Diken of The Smithereens.

Soon I built up a modest student base and truly enjoyed my teaching routine.  After a year or so, other forces prevailed (I was going back to grad school) and regrettably, I had to leave my students with another teacher.  Teaching at Glenn's shop was a tremendous experience.

See the brochure up close here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.