Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2023

My Encounter with Davy Jones of The Monkees


In the 90s, I had the privilege of working with Davy Jones, who was not only a talented performer but also a gentleman and a genuinely good person. I vividly remember my first gig with him, when I accidentally barged into his dressing room thinking it was for the band. Instead, I found Davy sitting there all by himself. I apologized, but he quickly declared that it was OUR dressing room and that there was no other room for "the talent." We had a quick laugh together and enjoyed an easy, comfortable, pre-show chat.

Davy was an amazing storyteller, singer, and performer, and it was a real honor to work with him. During one conversation, he mentioned how The Beatles were actually the first fabricated boy band, not The Monkees, which surprised me at the time.

I was living in the Rondout neighborhood of Kingston, NY, close to the Esopus River, during this period. As someone who loves the Hudson Valley, I highly recommend it. If you're ever in Uptown Kingston, be sure to check out La Canard Enchaine, one of my favorite restaurants. I also had the opportunity to work at local recording studios like Bearsville Studios and The Clubhouse.




No comments:

Post a Comment